A woman died from a toxic wet in a Mexican resort: a lawsuit

A woman died from a toxic wet in a Mexican resort: a lawsuit

A Wisconsin woman's family has claimed that a proud and comprehensive resort in Mexico caused the death of a 20-year-old college student while serving her "toxic" alcohol during her vacation last year, a civil lawsuit says.

Abbey Conner of Pewaukee origin was found in January 2017 swimming face down in a five-star resort in Playa del Carmen, Iberostar Paraíso Del Mar, after she and her brother Aaron took a mysterious shot there. , reports the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

Aaron Conner, 22, later woke up in an ambulance without remembering what happened, while hotel staff told Conner's mother and stepfather that he had been rushed to hospital after a guest reportedly drowned in a 3,280-foot leg of the hotel. - long pool.

Once in the hospital, Abbey's parents found him in a ventilator and did not react. His brother had been reassured in the meantime, but had recovered consciousness after the incident.

But Abbey had to be transferred to another Cancun hospital - hospital officials demanded the family pay $ 6,300 before moving in and make a $ 10,000 deposit before moving in.

Instead, he was transported the following day by emergency air transport to a Flemish emergency room in Fort Lauderdale, where doctors say his brain is no longer working. Conner's death was pronounced accidental drowning, the newspaper reported, but relatives now claim that the hotel and its US-based booking company, Visit us, knew it was serving alcohol unfit for human consumption.

Conner's death was caused by an 18-month investigation into the newspaper, which received more than 200 reports from Mexican tourists who believe they were either intentionally drugged or a victim of drunkenness. Most recently, three people told the newspaper that he had been dazzling at a Cabo resort earlier this month after drinking a few margaritas.

The lawsuit filed with the Florida Circuit Court claims that Iberostar did not adequately protect its guests by allowing the resort to drink dirty alcohol and properly protecting guests by the pool.

Attorney Gary Davidson, who represents the Conner family, said that losing consciousness of two very different types of body types - Abbey and his brother - after a few drinks is not credible.

"There's a big difference between being intoxicated and losing self-control," he told the newspaper. "Combine that with what we know that has happened in the Playa del Carmen area over the last couple of years ... Probably there is a major problem or death during Abbey because he was in love with it, no matter what it was portrayed as regular alcohol that it wasn't. "

Months after Conner's death, in August 2017, the Mexican authorities seized 10,000 gallons of illegal alcohol from a manufacturer that supplied wet to resorts in Cancun and Playa del Carmen. Operations at the Conner's nightclub, as well as a hot Tuesday in Cancun, were temporarily closed after a total of 90 gallons of damaged wetland was removed from both locations.

According to the Conner case, the producer is a seller who is detained by Iberostar and regularly supplies alcohol to the resort. Meanwhile, the company has long denied that its alcohol had been contaminated in any way. A company spokesman told Sentinel that it would not comment on pending litigation.

In the meantime, the US Department of State has tracked rape, injury and other serious incidents suffered by US citizens on holiday in Mexico following an investigation into the newspaper. As of Wednesday, 29 people had complained that they had been served with a spoiled drink, according to the newspaper.

Events in El-Cangrejo